You're So Fine
Joe taught the Little Walter classic, "You're So Fine" this week (download Joe's transcription here or purchase in the iTunes Store here). This is another great repertoire song but starting to sing at the IV chord could throw off some bands. Consider starting the song from the V so that you start singing at the top of the 12-bar form. Joe pointed out some similarities to Big Walter's 70's version of "That Ain't It", and this led to a great discussion about timing and meter and the fact that there are additional beats at the end of "You're So Fine".
- Shoji has two ensemble songs on the schedule for the Recital on Friday, May 22. Work on your parts for "Soul Finger" and "Welcome Table" and be sure to have the right harps with you for practice the next two weeks. We'll run through the songs at 8pm, so stick around! (Listen to Soul Finger on YouTube here or purchase "Soul Finger" in iTunes here.)
- Everyone should be working on their recital songs and practicing them in class the next two weeks. If your song is unusual, be sure to get a copy of it to the band.
- The Chicago Blues Harp Bash website needs quotes! If you attended the previous Bash and can write a short promotional quote, send it along to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shoji is now offering custom play-along tracks for purchase and download at the YOU MISSED MONDAY!!! site (near the bottom). Please note that these jam tracks are sold individually to help harmonica players practice. Any unauthorized duplication, distribution, and sales of these tracks following any purchases is strictly prohibited. Please respect this request. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Joe's additional Level III class has been approved and will begin June 22. This class will meet from 12:30-1:50 on Mondays.
The newsletter and more is now online! Check it out for further info on newsletter items, an ongoing calendar of local gigs and birthdays, archives, links, videos and special features.
We welcome your input. If you're inspired to write a review of a live show, CD, DVD or book, please submit it to us for consideration.
- Grant Kessler, B1 Blues Crew