The 12th Old Town Blues Harmonica recital is Friday, May 22 at the Harlem Avenue Lounge. Classes rehearsed their recital songs with the B1 band. Special thanks to Gavin Tun on bass for coming out to practice with us. We also ran through Shoji's ensemble songs, "Welcome Table" and "Soul Finger".
- Joe passed out his "Recital Checklist". Consult it often before the recital so that you're ready to "imitate a professional musician" onstage.
- "Welcome Table" -- practice your part and memorize it so you don't need sheet music on stage.
- "Soul Finger" -- practice and know your part. If you are buying an F harp in order to participate, Shoji recommends you purchase a low F.
- Everyone should be working on their recital songs and we'll practice them again next week. If your song is unusual, be sure to get a copy of it to the band.
- Check out the Chicago Blues Harp Bash website -- this is going to be a great show. Special thanks to Jaime Viehweg for all his work on the site.
- Shoji continues to update his list of custom play-along tracks for purchase and download at the YOU MISSED MONDAY!!! site (near the bottom). Please note that these jam tracks are sold individually to help harmonica players practice. Any unauthorized duplication, distribution, and sales of these tracks following any purchases is strictly prohibited. Please respect this request. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Joe's additional Level III class has been approved and will begin June 22. This class will meet from 12:30-1:50 on Mondays.
The newsletter and more is now online! Check it out for further info on newsletter items, an ongoing calendar of local gigs and birthdays, archives, links, videos and special features.
We welcome your input. If you're inspired to write a review of a live show, CD, DVD or book, please submit it to us for consideration.
- Grant Kessler, B1 Blues Crew