Joe taught Lazy Lester's tune, "I'm A Lover Not A Fighter" this week (transcription). This is a very fast twenty-four bar tune with breaks. It has an extended one chord section up front too, so be sure the band knows it, or perhaps rework the arrangement some to make it easier to explain. Shoji pointed out too that it can be played and sung to "Mojo" or even a fast version of "Big Boss Man", so practice to these grooves if you want another way to explain it to a band.
Joe also used a few peoples' performances to point out that it is important to learn to anticipate failure with a good sense of humor. You are there to entertain, and people will be entertained if you are having fun and rolling with your mistakes.
Ron Sorin Next Monday, June 22 at 8:00pm!
We are very excited to have special guest Ron Sorin in class next week! If you haven't been in to B1 in a while, this would be a great night to come visit and hear Ron speak.
- If you didn't get a copy of Ron Sorin's compilation CD, Joe will be selling them next week.
- Level III students should play their full songs next week.
- Be working on your talking blues contest entry! If for some reason you don't care to work something up, Joe strongly recommends you work on the classic, "Scratch My Back". The transcription for this is now up here.
- Lazy Lester's visit on June 29 is still unconfirmed, but looking very likely. This will be a once in a lifetime opportunity. In any case, be sure to catch his gig at Buddy Guy's Legends on Friday, June 26.
- Alert reader Big Jim Themelis notified us of some great new CD releases with harmonica on them. They feature Rick Estrin, Kim Wilson, Rod Piazza and Shy Guy Douglas. Links are at youmissedmonday.com.
- New session starts next week, June 22! Be sure to sign up now for classes so Old Town knows you're coming. Keep classes full and happening!
- Joe's new Level III class starts next week, June 22 at 12:30pm. This class will need to clear out promptly at 1:50 for Joe's next private lesson.