Lazy Lester released his classic "I Hear You Knockin'" in 1959 on Excello Records. This is a standard 8 bar tune with a typical blues bridge. If you're playing this with a band that doesn't know the song, it has the same chord structure as "Walkin' By Myself". This is another great example of harp playing that is solid melodically. Note also that Joe wrote out the vocal melody over the bridge. If you're working on singing this, practice the harp part he wrote as a way to get the melody in your head. (transcription)
B1 and Ron Sorin On Harp-L!
Special thanks to Mick Zaklan for coming out to our Ron Sorin night last week. He wrote a terrific piece about Ron's visit on the Harp-L forum, which we highly recommend reading. It's here.
What is Harp-L?
"Harp-L is an electronic mailing list for the discussion of harmonica music, playing, maintenance, and all related
topics -- a place for harmonipaths worldwide to wax lyrical about the world's most fun and portable instrument."
It is sponsored by SPAH and you can sign up here: Harp-L.
Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers at Legends!
West coast harp great Rod Piazza is making a rare appearance this Friday, July 3 at Buddy Guy's Legends. Get out to see Rod and his Harp King amp in action...not to mention his wife Honey bangin' on those keys with her bare feet! Great show not to be missed!
Talking Blues Contest!
No date is set for this yet, but it will likely be August or September. You should be writing now! Work up a tune that has at least some harp and some talking in it and compete for a Filisko harmonica!
To inspire you, here are a few more talking blues tunes to listen to:
- "Blues Hangover", Slim Harpo
- "Pinetop's Boogie Woogie", Duke Jenkins and His Orchestra
- "The Hunt", Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller)
- "It's Bad You Know", RL Burnside
- Recital CDs are available! Joe compiled our recent 12th Old Town Harmonica Recital on disc -- everyone who played is on it. Thanks to "Bad" Brad Rodger for design, Michelle Filisko for recording, and Highway RickEy for printing. Get it soon and make your donation to the class fund!
- Chicago Blues Harp Bash: tickets are available through etix and the Bill's Blues Bar website, but at the moment the Patron and Platinum reserved seating is not working properly. Please check back soon to make these reservations online.
The newsletter and more is now online! Check it out for further info on newsletter items, an ongoing calendar of local gigs and birthdays, archives, links, videos and special features.
We welcome your input. If you're inspired to write a review of a live show, CD, DVD or book, please submit it to us for consideration.
- Grant Kessler, B1 Blues Crew