The Old Town School of Folk Music is closed for a two-week summer break. Use the time to practice, grasshopper...or maybe just go fishing!
Harmonica classes resume August 31 -- sign up now!
Get Out For Live Blues!
Of course the other thing you should be doing is heading out to hear all the great harmonica-driven music in town this week. In addition to local players like James Conway, Morry Sochat and Billy Flynn, you also have a chance this week to catch Watermelon Slim who doesn't play here often. Plus, we'd also like to point out that the Official Kansas City Liaison for the Filisko Method has two gigs here this week -- check out Jimmie Meade and his band Leveetown!
Talking Blues Contest News!
Joe has officially scheduled the talking blues contest for Oct 5. Here are things to keep in mind:
- Contest is open to all Level III and Level IV students as well as private lesson students.
- The song should be harmonica-driven.
- Some singing is ok, but the idea is to do a talking blues so everyone can participate.
- Produce an entertaining performance.
- Bonus for originality.
- Joe is "highly considering" an honorable mention prize!
- You should make use of the B1 band -- know how to communicate to them what you want.
- Remember, you are competing with yourself. Joe is looking for a winning performance that shows you've pushed yourself and grown. Find your inner showmanship and put on a memorable performance!
- Chicago Blues Harp Bash: tickets are available at the Bash website. Patron and Platinum reserved seating is now available. Get yours soon so you don't miss this great show!
The newsletter and more is now online! Check it out for further info on newsletter items, an ongoing calendar of local gigs and birthdays, archives, links, videos and special features.
We welcome your input. If you're inspired to write a review of a live show, CD, DVD or book, please submit it to us for consideration.
- Grant Kessler, B1 Blues Crew