Breathing Technique and the Performance Flag List!
Instruction this week centered on newly updated versions of Joe's handouts: Harmonica Breathing Guide, Performance Flag List and General Wisdom from Filisko. These handouts consolidate valuable technique suggestions that will keep you on the right track in your playing and practicing. Get copies from Joe if you missed class and spend time going over them!
Chicago Blues Harp Bash #2 This Week!
Get your tickets now because they're going fast! There will be a few available at the door, but don't count on it. It's going to be a great show.
Here are Big Alex' videos to get you pumped up about Jim Liban:
The Chicago Blues Harp Bash showcases five local harp players: Andrew Diehl, Buzz Krantz, Brad Rodger, Grant Kessler and Tim Spahn, all backed by the amazing Billy Flynn Band. Following their performances will be our headliner, Jim Liban!
Gary Primich Website Updated!
The family of the late, great Gary Primich has updated Gary's website with lots of new info. There are Cathi Norton interviews and even a plug for our upcoming Harp Bash! Gary was a very special part of the B1 Blues family so be sure to check out all the new info in the Tour, Links and Lore sections. Click here.
Talking Blues Contest News -- Date Change!
The talking blues contest is now officially re-scheduled for October 19:
- Contest is open to all Level III and Level IV students as well as private lesson students.
- The song should be harmonica-driven.
- Some singing is ok, but the idea is to do a talking blues so everyone can participate.
- Produce an entertaining performance.
- Bonus for originality.
- You should make use of the B1 band -- know how to communicate to them what you want.
- Remember, you are competing with yourself. Joe is looking for a winning performance that shows you've pushed yourself and grown. Find your inner showmanship and put on a memorable performance!
- September 28 -- Shoji will not be in class, so plan your songs accordingly.
- You've got homework! October 5, 26 and November 2 -- Joe will be away but group classes will continue as usual with Shoji Naito teaching. Level Four students should review and practice chord and bassline techniques. Follow this link.
- The next Old Town School Harmonica Recital is scheduled for December 11 at the Harlem Avenue Lounge.
- Joe highly recommends the new David Barrett book, Blues Harmonica Accompaniment Playing.
- Merry Christmas! Shoji has created another fabulous multi-harp arrangement for the winter recital. Go to this link to learn all about it and practice a part that's appropriate for you: Silver Bells.
The newsletter and more is always online! Check it out for more details on newsletter items, a calendar of local gigs and birthdays, archives, links, videos and special features.
We welcome your input. If you're inspired to write a review of a live show, CD, DVD or book, please submit it to us for consideration.
- Grant Kessler, B1 Blues Crew