Bad Brad Send-Off!
B1 said good-bye to our long-time friend "Bad" Brad Rodger last night. Brad has been a beloved fixture in B1 for over eight years, proving he's "bad" with his Howlin' Wolf renditions and recently launching the Bradettes horn section with songs like Mustang Sally and Mohair Sam. He and his fiance are moving to Cincinnati and will be sorely missed. To see all of Highway RickEy's photos from the evening, including Joe's new "vintage, front-porch chair," go here. Good luck, Brad and Rita!
Joe shared a Level I handout with Level III and IV last night, using it as a way to review some basics. Pick up this sheet from Joe if you missed class and work on improving your playing posture and hand technique.
We did a quick review of the Mannish Boy lick and Joe recommends you work on your blues scale soloing this week. Next Monday we'll be playing Mannish Boy and giving people opportunity in class to practice their blues scale soloing.
The 13th Old Town School harmonica recital was a huge success in December and now you can relive it with a copy of the highlights CD. Make a donation to the class fund and pick up your copy from Joe now!
Also, thanks to Highway RickEy for the CD cover art and arranging for photography at the event. You can view all the images here. Thanks to photographers Highway RickEy, Michelle Filisko and Grant Kessler.
The Next Great Ensemble Performance -- Juke!!!
Shoji Naito, ensemble writer extraordinaire, has produced another fabulous group piece for us to perform at the Harmonica Convergence show March 21, 2010, and this time it's Little Walter's "Juke"! Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate. This will be a fabulous opportunity for us to perform on the main stage at the Old Town School, sharing the bill with professional harp players Corky Siegel, Peter "Madcat" Ruth, Joe Filisko and Howard Levy. Shoji has posted the parts and the song here: Juke.
We will be rehearsing this song every week now, so spend time at home rehearsing.
Other ensemble notes:
- "Practice" at home; rehearse with the group in class.
- Spend most of your practice this week on pages one and two.
- Shoji will not be providing printouts in class. Make your own printouts from the web page and remember to bring them to class.
We hope to also be playing Welcome Table at this event, so refresh your memory on that song too. Welcome Table link.
Robert Bonfiglio in Rockford!
Harmonica virtuoso Robert Bonfiglio is performing the Villa-Lobos' concerto in Rockford this Saturday, January 16. Full details in the calendar of youmissedmonday.com. Not a blues show, but Bonfiglio is an incredible, world-class harmonica player not to be missed!
- Our own Mr. G's new cd, It's A Mystery, was reviewed by Blues Blast Magazine. Congrats, G!
- Reminder: Joe can do a better job critiquing what you play if you hand him your transcription beforehand. This is a great way to get better comments on your technique.
- Get your tickets now for the next Harmonica Convergence show featuring Joe Filisko, Howard Levy, Corky Siegel and Peter Madcat Ruth at the Old Town School, March 21, 2010. The show will be a tribute to the great harmonica legend, and longtime Steve Miller Band member, Norton Buffalo. Rumor has it there may be other harp players you know in the lineup, so don't miss it!
The newsletter and more is always online! Check it out for more details on newsletter items, a calendar of local gigs, jams, birthdays, archives, links, videos and special features.
We welcome your input. If you're inspired to write a review of a live show, CD, DVD or book, please submit it to us for consideration.
- Grant Kessler, B1 Blues Crew