B1 welcomed Joe back from Europe last night and quickly returned to our accompaniment playing discussion. After giving a few people opportunity to try their hand, Joe talked about and demonstrated how three primary things can get you through accompaniment AND you'll sound terrific doing it! Focus on:
- a chordal effect that uses the 5 draw as the primary melody note - head shake, rapid vamping, tongue shake
- a slide from 4 draw down to 2 draw
- bends up, usually from the 2 draw fully bent
Joe also points out there is accompaniment info to be gleaned from his Level 1 teaching material, which you can buy and download here.
Practice at home and be ready in class for more attention on this topic.
- Final Take - we'll record again in the Performance Class, December 12. You should be ready to declare your recording tune in class next week so the band knows what you're up to and can be prepared. And you should be using remaining class time to focus on fine-tuning your song.
- Mark your calendars for Joe's next Harlem Avenue Lounge Harmonica Party, November 29.